As I write this post I'm keeping an eye keenly on Jack's video monitor. It's funny, I'm not sure I've watched the monitor quite so keenly since Jack's first night in his room, just under three years ago. Tonight I watch because it's Jack's first night in his big boy bed. We've known this was coming, we've talked a lot about it and have worked to get him used to the idea of this transition. This morning Jack stayed in his crib for much longer than usual before beckoning for me. He talked to his stuffed toys and loveys about tonight's transition, telling them that they'd be sleeping in a big boy bed from now on. When I was summonsed we rocked in our comfy chair and talked about tonight. He turned to his crib and said, "B-bye crib" and blew it a kiss. It was sad, but I know this is an important milestone and he needed the opportunity to say good-bye to the only read sleeping place he's ever known.
My husband and I worked feverishly preparing the room, co-ordinating deliveries and setting things up as the day wore on. At right around 5 we were as done as we could be (still waiting on a few things to be delivered). I went to pick him up at school and we brought him up to his room. He immediately ran to his bed, climbed up on it, and started to jump on the bed while he yelled, "this is amazing!" We think he likes it! He later went on to say, "this is so awesome" while he walked around and assessed the room. He excitedly pointed out the train photo and told us that he wants to go for a ride on that train. He climbed up the chair to reach the top of the book shelf to take down the Winnie the Pooh music box my Dad & Linda gave me and asked me to teach him to wind it. He audited his stuffed toys and counted his pillows. He did things that babies just don't do. That's probably because he's a big boy now.

No comments:
Post a Comment