Typical Jack

Typical Jack

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

This one's too little for Daddy...

Last night I was out to dinner with some colleagues so missed reading to Jack and putting him to bed. My husband had to take over these responsibilities that I tend to cherish and am not great at sharing. 

This morning, when Jack bellowed, "Mommy, I'm awake. Can you come in here?" I had my feet on the floor before he could finish summonsing me. After collecting and extra hug and kiss from him, he pointed to his big, red chair and asked me if we could read some books. How can you say no, right? So we started by reading the Baby Pumpkin book (yes, I know we're well past Halloween, but it's a book, right?), then went on to the tractor book, and last, he pointed to a Tigger book and said, "can we read the Tigger book? The Tigger book is too little for Daddy, but you're little like me, so can we read it?" Chris had told Jack that the print was too small for him to read. Jack interpreted that as meaning the book was too small for a man as big and tall and strong as his Daddy (OK, so maybe I'm embellishing a big, sue me). We read the Tigger book. Twice. And inside I found a certain peace with the fact that Jack identifies that there are things that Daddy can't do, but Mommy can, and there are things that Mommy can't do that Daddy can. Together I think we'll all get this whole family thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment